The Nueva Vizcaya State University is the result of the fruition of the Nueva Vizcaya State Institute of Technology (NVSIT) and the Nueva Vizcaya State Polytechnic College (NVSPC). The two schools were the two biggest state-run colleges in the province of Nueva Vizcaya. The NVSIT has a total area of 148.5 hectares situated at the foot of the scenic Bangan Hill in Bayombong, the capital town of the province and the NVSPC on the other hand, has an area of 14.21 hectares in Bambang, the center of trade and commerce of the province.
The NVSIT started from a farm settlement school in 1916 offering only intermediate curriculum. Two years after, a secondary curriculum was added to its former program, later renaming the school as the Bayombong Rural School, then as the Nueva Vizcaya Rural High School (NVRHS) in 1930.However, school operations in the country were suddenly stopped because of the war with the Japanese forces in 1941. After the war, NVRHS resumed its operation in 1945 but it was split into two entities: the NVRHS (now the NVSU) and the other as the Nueva Vizcaya High School (now the Nueva Vizcaya General Comprehensive High School).
During the post-war years, businesses started to boom in Bambang which paved the way for an educational institution to cater to the growing population of the municipality. As a result, the Municipality Council of Bambang passed a resolution on July 11, 1946 for the establishment of a Junior High School in the southern part of the province. With the intensified campaigns of raising funds for the proposed school, the amount of P19, 720.00 was accumulated and initiated the realization for a JHS. In the same month, the Southern Nueva Vizcaya Junior High School (SNVJHS) formally started its operation and a year after; it was renamed as the Bambang High School (BHS).
Both NVRHS and BHS had undergone remarkable transformations geared toward betterment, responsive to a dynamic civilization. Development in terms of physical facilities, manpower and system of education were given top considerations. With the strong support of political leaders of the province led by then Congressman Leonardo Perez, the upgrading of the different sectors of its respective district especially the educational component was realized. The NVRHS was converted into Nueva Vizcaya National Agricultural School (NVNAS) in 1956, made possible by virtue of Republic Act 1580 sponsored by Cong. Perez. In 1964, another conversion took place when the NVNAS was changed into Nueva Vizcaya Agricultural College (NVAC) through the legislation of R.A 4055, also authored by Cong. Perez. He likewise sponsored R.A 1971 converting the BHS into the Nueva Vizcaya School of Arts and Trades (NVSAT) on June 22, 1957.
The NVAC marker has been a historical emblem built at the left wing of the faÃ§ade leading to the Administration building of the Bayombong campus. The unveiling of the NVAC marker was held on June 18, 1965 with then Hon. Senator Leonardo Perez. Eventually on May 22, 1973, NVAC was converted to NVSIT by virtue of Presidential Decree 196. With the increasing clamor for more degree courses, NVSIT responded and provided expansions of its course offerings. Initially, the courses offered were basically agriculture and related fields.
Similarly, the NVSAT in Bambang was converted into NVSPC in June 1983 by force of Batas Pambansa Blg. 495 authored by Hon. Perez and Hon. Carlos Padilla.
Both NVSIT and NVSPC have distinct areas of excellence catering quality education to Novo Vizcayanos, those coming from neighboring provinces and other parts of the country. It was then reckoned that the merging of the two campuses would strengthen the pursuit for quality education. The goal of becoming a single institution with a university status was made possible through the collaborative efforts of all officials of both campuses and the imposing support from the political heads of the province.
A Technical Working Group (TWG) was organized to conduct a feasibility study on the merging of the two campuses and this was initiated by then Hon. Cong. Padilla. The key officials of both campuses made up the TWG and had their initial meeting on July 13, 2001. The establishment of NVSU was steered by the constitutional mandate as stated in Sec. 2 paragraph 1 of Article XIV and in Batas Pambansa Blg. 232 (Education Act of 1982) that the state shall establish, maintain, and support a complete, adequate, and integrated system of education relevant to the needs of the people and of society.
The passing of House Bill No. 2232 (An Act Constituting the Merging of the Two Campuses into NVSU) authored by Hon. Padilla was a big leap in the history of both campuses. Eventually, the painstaking bid for university status was over when R.A 9272 lapsed into law on March 20, 2004. The university status is a big call for bigger challenges and greater accountabilities.
The first year of operation of NVSU was propelled by the combined dedication of its workforce under the leadership of the Officer-In-Charge Atty. Lilia Garcia. It was during Garcia term when the integration of various operations of both campuses and the simplification of bureaucracy were formulated as a result of the conduct of various workshops/ seminars on leadership, team-management building and strategic skills development. Under the same administration, the university came up with its official logo embodying its vision, mission and goal.
Finally, after the two-year search for NVSU president, Dr. Marilou Gilo- Abon was pronounced by the Board of Regents as the first university president on May 31, 2005. Dr. Abon was the former vice president for academic affairs and concurrently dean of the College of Arts and Sciences of the Central Luzon State University. With her leadership, she yearned not only for NVSU to aim for a culture of excellence but also to advocate a culture of peace which should be the supreme advocacy of a country that is in political turmoil. Indeed, academic institution plays a vital role in the molding of citizens of this nation; thus, NVSU stands steadfast with its advocacy.
After four years of fruitful administration, Dr. Abon was re-appointed by the members of the Board of Regents for a second term. However, the flourishing university was in mourning with the untimely demise of Dr. Abon on April 23, 2010. The gargantuan task left by the Abon leadership was taken over by Dr. Romeo S. Quilang, President of the Isabela State University, as officer in-charge (OIC) through BOR Resolution No. 68 s. 2010 which took effect on April 26, 2010. Nevertheless, due to the need for a full time care taker of the University, Dr. Leodevico M. Fronda was appointed by the BOR as OIC in place of Dr. Quilang by virtue of BOR Res. No. 25 s.2011 effective September 26, 2011. The term of Dr. Fronda ended on April 1, 2012 when the University Board of Regents through a search committee headed by Dr. Saturnino M. Ocampo, a former CHED Commissioner has finally affirmed Dr. Florentina S. Dumlao as NVSU President. Dr. Dumlao took her office on April 2, 2012 by virtue of BOR Res. No. 26, s. 2012. Under the Dumlao leadership, the crafting of the NVSU Five-year Development Plan/Investment Plan (2012-2017) is given due priority for the university to chart a clear direction as preparation for a bolder journey taking off from the great accomplishments of the past administrations . It is the intention of this new leadership put all the university components in their proper places in order to achieve the NVSU’s ultimate vision, mission and goals.